10 Key Dishes for a Perfect Cinco de Mayo
Written by Raele Sabounjian
Well, it’s almost that time of year again. Cinco de Mayo. Most non-Mexicans think this day commemorates the glorious independence of Mexico. Not quite. It actually celebrates an unexpected victory of the Mexican army against Napoleon III and his French forces on May 5, 1862, at the Battle of Puebla. But, quite frankly, we have more important matters to discuss. Specifically, the food.
We all know the best thing about partaking in Cinco de Mayo festivities is the spread. Tacos, queso, endless guac, margaritas, Coronas…the list goes on and on. Cinco de Mayo has become so infiltrated in American culture, it’s almost like a preamble to Memorial Day Weekend. It’s a reason to celebrate the fact that summer is indeed around the corner, and it’s officially okay to have a couple of margaritas during the company happy hour.
So we decided to put together a list of the top 10 key dishes from our Deborah Miller Catering Menu that should be present at every Cinco de Mayo gathering, and what makes them so great. Try not to salivate on your keyboard as you read on…
- Jumpstart Breakfast Burritos – with ingredients like pepper jack cheese, black beans, bacon, and cheddar cheese, among others, who could say no to starting the 5th of May in this delicious way?
- Individual 5-Layer Dip Snack with Plantain Chips – guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo, cheese, in one perfect little snack size for each person, with plantain chips for dipping? Cute and neat, and yes, very sanitary.
- Southwestern Black Bean & Corn Salad with Tomatoes, Peppers, and Cilantro Jalapeno Vinaigrette – healthy, flavorful, and the rare Mexican vegetarian option you’ve been secretly searching for.
- Corn on the Cob Bites – here’s a corn on the cob that’s actually manageable and easy to eat in public. Small and served on a stick, you can munch on it around coworkers and still look civilized. Plus, the chipotle flavor on the cob will have you going for seconds, we promise.
- Individual Shots of Guacamole with Plantain Chips – another option from our individual snack menu that is cute, clean, and convenient. Or, you can just go big and have a full on guacamole bar, which we also happily provide. Just make sure there are copious amounts of guacamole, in whatever shape or form, or we can guarantee that there will be riots.
- The Taco Bar – oh yes. Guacamole bars are just the beginning for us. A taco bar always draws a crowd, and so much fun for guests to put together. A choice of 3 proteins and 2 hot sides allows for many options, and all the condiments you could ever ask for will come with it. Bonus: if your crowd isn’t feeling the tortillas (which we honestly hope they are, but let’s digress), they can always have some lettuce wraps on the side too, for a healthier route.
- Quinoa with Chipotle Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Black Beans, and Cilantro Leaves – quinoa is all the rage right now, isn’t it? So here’s a great way to incorporate it into your Cinco de Mayo theme without trying too hard to be trendy. The ingredients are a great Mexican medley, and the flavors give a perfect South of the Border taste. Oh, and it’s healthy. Again. Double win.
- Quesadilla Assortment – a no brainer for this holiday. And with our sampling of chicken, vegetable, and shrimp quesadillas, how could this not be on our (or your) list?!
- Banana &Nutella Bite-Size Burritos – adorable, delicious, unique, and they could double as a breakfast option if you don’t want them for dessert. Guarantee this will be the unexpected hit of your entire event, just because of how cute and festive they are.
- Churros – the perfect dessert choice to cap any Cinco de Mayo dish list. We serve ours with chocolate sauce to make it truly authentic, and they never disappoint. People loves churros!
So there you have it. Every Cinco de Mayo party or office gathering deserves dishes that make the occasion festive, and these 10 dishes are tasty and fun! Plus, if you do have any vegetarians or vegans in your group, we have that covered too. And you can even educate your guests on the real reason why Cinco de Mayo is celebrated to begin with, all thanks to this article. Host with the most? Si, si, si.