5 Hearty Foods to Celebrate Father’s Day
In the months of May and June, Americans celebrate Mother’s Day and Father’s day respectively, and pay tribute to parents/grandparents with cards, gifts, and sweet gestures. Fun fact: Mother’s Day became an official U.S. holiday in 1914, and while Father’s Day was celebrated for the first time in 1910, it did not become a national holiday until 1972. Some may call them “Hallmark holidays,” man-made occasions used to generate business during an otherwise slow holiday season, but overall most people love Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, because it gives them a chance and a reason to honor their parents...something they might not necessarily remember to do on the regular.
While Mother’s Day is very much about flowers, cards, more flowers, and not making mom have to think about food and cooking, Father’s Day is practically defined by food. Dads love to take the opportunity to throw something on the grill and make a nice summer lunch for everyone. Especially since Father’s Day always falls around mid-June, it’s the perfect reason to have a delicious summer BBQ.
So at DMC, we’ve rounded up 5 somewhat “manly” foods that are perfect for celebrating Father’s Day, whether you’re having a get-together the Friday before in the office, or celebrating that weekend at home. Don’t get us wrong, these foods are not at all reserved for the boys or meant to be unique to one gender. Women are more than welcome to enjoy them too, at any time of year, and we wholeheartedly encourage it!
Read below to find out our top picks for Father’s Day, from breakfast to dinner and everything in between:
- Jump Start Breakfast Burritos:Our medley of scrambled eggs with beans, cheese, and a variety of vegetables wrapped in tortilla or wrap bread is a total dad breakfast. Hearty, kind of heavy, and great for an on-the-go snack, it truly checks off all the boxes.
- Make Your Own Burger Bar: This package is everything one would want in a barbeque party, minus the actual grill. We send hamburgers and veggie burger patties with buns on the side, and condiments/toppings to last a lifetime – or at least through lunch! Avocados, sautéed mushrooms, bacon, caramelized onions, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato and sliced pickles are just some of the options to name a few.
- Classic Cobb Salad: Our heartiest salad comes with chicken, bacon, blue cheese, tomato, egg and avocado. Though you may not think of dad when you think of salads, we trust that this one won’t disappoint, and will be fitting even for the manliest of men.
- Tuscan Antipasto Platter: First of all, let’s make it clear that this snack truly has something for everyone, and is a favorite at any event or gathering. An abundant platter of grilled seasonal vegetables with marinated tomatoes and artichokes, served with salami, chorizo, soppresata, pesto grilled shrimp, chunks of parmesan, country olives and sliced breads. Perfect for the ladies and gents of all ages, but especially a fan favorite among men who love a classic cheese and meat plate!
- Shots of Chocolate-Covered Pretzel Bites: Easy to eat, a mix of salty and sweet, and delicious all the way around. This dessert has the perfect balance of it all, and a great item to snack on before heading out of the office for the weekend or while watching a Sunday afternoon game.
Father’s Day isn’t defined by gender or manliness –many moms play the role of dad in many households these days, andare celebrated on both Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. But if you want to indulge in heavy and hearty food ideas for this holiday, these are some good ones no matter who your audience is. Happy Father’s Day!