Old Hollywood Glamour: A Golden Globes Party
The 73rd Annual Golden Globes kick off award season this Sunday, hosted by Ricky Gervais and airing on NBC. Taking up residence in the grand ballroom of the Beverly Hilton Hotel, this evocative old hollywood venue plays host to one of the most unexpected parties of the year.
To host your own acclaimed party, we sat down with our event planners to gather their most award winning ideas.
For almost all events with a theme, we like to start the look by picking the tablecloth and letting that be your canvas. We found a beautiful Fasar tablecloth by John Robshaw textiles at Gracious Home which combines delicate silver and gold threading laying your old Hollywood glamour foundation. We selected these Crystal votives from Vase Source because they evoked a feeling of crystal chandeliers. Vase Source has a variety of sizes to mix and match with. For a knockout centerpiece, we’d consult our friends at Putnam Flowers. Their deep and versatile creations can fit any size table or buffet and still maintain their signature silhouette.
With the ceremony expected to run about three hours long, not including the pre-show, your menu should consist of various small bites. To keep things playful, break down the menu into two sections: Best Topping on a Crostini and Best Picture.
Best Topping on a Crostini
- Avocado toast with lemon juice, coconut oil and crushed red pepper
- Chicken Rillettes with quince jam
- Prosciutto + apple with maple butter
- Bruschetta with black mission figs and melted gorgonzola
- Lemon Spy zest ricotta topped with dark cherries and garnished with lemon rind
- Spotlight Pepper Crusted Tenderloin Crostini with spicy corn relish and roasted garlic aioli
- Mad Max’s Duck Mousse with Pickled Grapes on Endive
- Salmon tartare served on sliced cucumber and garnished with dill
- Bresaola wrapped persimmon wedges
- Trainwrecked Snapper Crudo Spoons Grilled corn, Sriracha avocado crema, micro cilantro
- Watermelon bites with whipped goat cheese and cucumber slices
Pick up the “golden” theme again with your bar. Gold Rimmed stemware completes your parties look. Also at the bar, your signature cocktails can all be tied to the Best Picture Nominees.
- The Revenant-artia a nod to the Best Drama Nominee from Alejandro González Iñárritu the Mexican born director and Oscar winner of Birdman. Calling on the dark nature of the film and the birthplace of its director, we crafted a Patron XO Cafe Coffee Liqueur, Cola and lime cocktail
- The Joy - the cast of the David O’Russell helmed Joy brings back his favorites from his most recent films and starring his muse Jennifer Lawrence. Inspired by Lawrence’s golden hair and feisty on screen person, this Kir Royale, under a new name provides a fitting homage per our Beverage Director.
- The Martian-tini - “If Matt Damon was an astronaut this is the astronaut he’d be”, says Danny, one of our Senior Account Executives and we all agreed. We also all agreed that if you were in alone in space for 18 months, a bourbon, ginger liqueur, lemon juice martini is the refreshing and strong cocktail you’d want when you come home.
- The Big Shot - The title of this ensemble piece about the financial crisis of 2008 is begging to be turned into a drink pun. Or maybe because it’s directed by Hollywood funny man, Adam McKay. Either way, we found the perfect cocktail version of this film. Blackberry Gin Shooters, take fresh blackberries, gin, simple syrup, lemon juice and crushed iced and you’ll have an ensemble drink of your on.
Once you’re all set up and your guests have arrived, there is nothing left to do but sit back, relax and enjoy the show.